We anchored about half-past ten, and found here the Havannah, Icarus, and Ferret, which had got the start of us. The governor came on board, and the admiral returned with him to determine on the spot for Bonaparte’s future abode. We amused ourselves in surveying the stupendous barren cliffs of St. Helena, whose terrific appearance seemed to but ill accord with the feelings of our guests. In the evening the admiral returned, having taken a house in the town as a temporary residence for Bonaparte and his followers.
— John Glover, secretary to Rear Admiral George Cockburn, on board HMS Northumberland, writes for October 15 1815.